The Port Macquarie Koala Hospital was established in 1973 and is a licensed wildlife rehabilitation facility. The Hospital is a popular tourist attraction that welcomes thousands of national and international visitors every year. Admission is free. The Hospital is also a scientific research, training and education centre.
We are made up of a large body of approximately 200 committed volunteers is vital to the Koala Hospital, and managed by Koala Conservation Australia Limited. This not-for-profit organisation has the wider mission to lead the world in the care and conservation of wild koalas, to increase knowledge and understanding of the species and to work collaboratively to ensure their survival into the future.
The Koala Hospital consists of exhibit enclosures, a treatment clinic, intensive care units and rehabilitation yards, many of which have trees for koalas to learn to climb as part of the rehabilitation process. We also have a Koalaseum - a museum for Koalas which provides information on koala evolution and biology and interactive displays so visitors can touch koala fur or look down a microscope at koala poos (scat).
Koala Conservation Australia Limited and the Koala Hospital is a not-for-profit charity funded by the public through donations and bequests, the Adopt A Wild Koala Program and souvenir shop sales.
In 2019, for the first time in its history, the Koala Hospital heard that its application for government funding was successful. The state government’s Restart NSW Program is providing funds specifically for the rebuilding of the Koala Hospital, enabling us to continue best practice in the treatment of koalas. 80% of the cost of rebuilding the Hospital will be provided by the NSW Government and Koala Conservation Australia Inc will fund the remaining 20%. The new Hospital, in conjunction with the recently-established Wild Koala Breeding Program will enhance visitor experience, and increase education, training and research facilities.
We are dependent on the public's generosity for the ongoing running costs of the Port Macquarie Koala Hospital and the Wild Koala Breeding Program..
Koala Conservation Australia is a company limited by guarantee since 2021 (CAN 634 823 368). We are a registered charity with the Australian Charities and Not for Profit Commission (ACNC) and a Registered Environmental Organisation (REO). Our tax deductible gift fund is PORT MACQUARIE KOALA HOSPITAL GIFT FUND with Deductible Gift Recipient (Item 1) for tax deductibility purposes with the Australian Taxation Office (ABN 74 060 854 479).
Secretary & Public Officer
Important:If you believe the koala you saw is injured or in any way distressed, please call our 24-hour Rescue Line immediately on (02) 6584 1522
2022 © All Rights Reserved.
| ABN: 74 060 854 479Website by Cloud Concepts